1) What are the Green initiatives that have been taken within your company?
- We shut down the desktop after office hours and during weekends, direct result is 60% reduction in electricity bill.
- Optimizing windows start up time
- We are using thin client technology for desktops machine which are critical, they are more energy efficient and also easy to mange.
- AC shut down after 8 PM and during weekends.
- Use of Virtualization technology, we consolidated the servers, any new application/machine deployment is a contender of virtualization, all the legacy machines/application also replaced with virtualization technology, It direct results in lower power consumption.
- We are using SaaS (Software as a Service) model for payroll and HR dept.
- We have migrated our solution to SaaS (Kind of hosting model).
- Migrated the application from SUN servers to Intel based architecture.
- Energy efficient CFL lighting in the office
- Use of TFT/LCD screen instead of old CRT monitors, TFT/LCD are more energy efficient
2) What are the benefits that have resulted from such green initiatives?
- Cost Saving , better ROI , it is major motivating factor
- Reduced carbon foot print , Greener Planet
- Less Hardware (using virtualization and consolidation of servers )
3) What is the road-map for furthering the green agenda, i.e., what other green initiatives is your company intending to take?
- For new IT equipment we are in process for contract with the Hardware vendor for hardware replacement and refresh after its life cycle(in our case it is Dell)
- Every new application should be deployed using Virtualization technology.
- Relocating our office servers to data center colo. It will save cost for us and bigger data centers can afford Green IT Data center. Many times is not feasible for a smaller company to afford green data center (design, build and its operation) in house.
- Dell servers with Intel high-efficiency power supplies, fans and processors to reduce our total watts per server.
- We partner with a company that refurbishes and resells our old server hardware that we can't reuse internally.